Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chew Toys

Friday was my first day back in the real world, and I am so glad I was well in time for it. Friday is one of the two days per week that we go to our alternative site in Old Naledi- Gaborone's poorest neighborhood. 

My friend and I did physical assessments on all of the children in the center. It was the first time that we actually got to practice our clinical skills. These kids range in age from 6 to 18ish, and due to the conditions in which they've grown up, they all present with things we might not see in the States. 

The morning was spent with the younger kids who should be in school, but for one reason or another don't ever get there. They were SO excited to go visit the 'doctor' and could barely contain themselves when I let them play with my stethoscope. We started with vital signs, except that the blood pressure cuff we had could wrap around each child's arm about three times and they were terrified to put the thermometer in their mouths so we had to do it under their arm (which takes forever and is less accurate). We then went systematically through each body system: Neuro, Skin, Cardio, Respiratory, etc. We were lucky enough to have a translator, but even so, we had to model on each other what we were going to do first and make sure each kid understood what we were about to do. For a 10 year old who has never been to a doctor except to get her vaccinations, you can understand how apprehensive she might be. Also, considering most of these kids haven't bathed in, i don't know, ever, they're probably a bit embarassed. 

 One particularly endearing 8 year old was in a serious car accident and has since had a mental deficit. He was hyperactive, nonverbal, and nearly impossible to focus....not entirely different from an untrained puppy. Though he did manage not to pee on our carpet. For whatever reason, he took a shine to me and would sit still on my lap long enough for my partner and me to assess him. I did, however, find the answer when he faceplanted my hand and started gumming it like an old man with applesauce. Well, whatever gets the job done. Also, please pass the Purell. 

I thought I was special until I saw him gnawing a piece of garden hose off the ground outside not an hour later. #heartbreak. He made it up to me by being obscenely cute. 

In the afternoon, we assessed the older kids, which we could do in English. It was really cool because we got to talk to them about reall issues like sex and drug use that we know from the center's management is happening, but they're not open with them about it. One kid came to us and told us he really wanted to quit smoking cigarettes and pot. We outlined ways that might work and gave him a timeline, and told him we were here every week and would check up on him next Wednesday. 

I really felt like we helped out on Friday, and it reinforced why I began this journey called Nursing in the first place. 

1 comment:

  1. Sooo basically you're as cool as a dirty garden hose? Nice. Literally laughed at loud at this post :-) Sounds like you're doing great things brotha. Love you.

    ReplyDelete