Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Africa Light- Part I

So so far, the hardest part about Africa is getting here. The distance is more enormous than I could fathom. I mean, everyone knows Southern Africa is really far away, but it is difficult to appreciate just how far 7,694 miles is until you've traveled it. So. many. movies.

Once I landed in Johannesburg, though, it was hard to remember I hadn't just conked my head and woken up 27 hours later. Granted, we stayed in the nicest part of the richest city in the richest country on the continent. I am told by an American friend here with whom I had coffee that 75% of the continent's money flows through this area of Johannesburg- and it shows. I seriously could not afford to walk down the street, let alone buy anything at one of the enormous malls or five star restaurants. We did see, if not directly experience, a good bit of the city en route to and from our various activities. I felt (and my friend confirmed through relaying her own experience of living in South Africa) that adjusting to living here would be no different than moving from one city in the US to another. Well, except for the whole driving on the other side of the road thing.

We (two of the classmates and I) spent our 47 hour layover visiting the Apartheid Museum and downtown Johannesburg, which has recently seen a revival from its reputation as a crime-ridden cesspool. The museum, though, was one of the more sobering experiences I've had. It never ceases to amaze me to see the animosity one group of people can have for another based solely on the amount of pigment they happen to have. It is amazing to me that South Africa is still a country, let alone the most affluent on the entire continent. However, it's also one of the world's most unequal societies, and they seem to hide all the gritty just out of sight of most tourists. It is, however, one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and I guarantee this won't be my last visit.




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you survived your hours of movie binging and travel to South Africa. I'm wondering how you think the Apartheid Museum compares to the US Holocaust Museum. Through your travels you're really getting to see that humans are capable of both extreme kindnesses and cruelties.

    ReplyDelete